- This A12 joined our Black & White Collection in June 2008 and was sadly sold at the Goodwood Revival auction in September 2012. We regretfully parted with it due to a lack of use, storage difficulties (!), and the purchase of another more usable vehicle (our Giulia Giardinetta).
- We purchased the A12 from a gentleman who lives just east of Turin who used it regularly for his business to transport his collection of cars to film locations.
- Manufactured as a cab and chassis combination on June 19th 1972 and sold new on October 9th 1972 in Palazzolo sull'Oglio which is just west of Brescia in northern Italy. It was then dispatched to the vehicle coachwork constructors Scattolini who are based near Verona for the car transporter body to be fitted which gave it a carrying capacity of 1,000kgs. This work was completed before the end of 1972.
- Road registered in the UK by us in October 2008.
- There are only two A12 Car Transporters known to be in England and very few are left in the world.
- Previously registered in Italy on the Brescia plates of BS 391091 and in England as 465-AGB.
- This A12 has never been fully restored. It was repainted a darker shade of its apparently original blue between five and ten years ago and remains in very good condition. It is not perfect, but very presentable. We carried out a mechanical re-fresh when we purchased it, replacing many steering and drive train components, and it now drives well. Our Giulia Spider Corsa in the photographs is not included in the sale!
Events we have exhibited this Alfa Romeo at:
- Classic and Sportscar Magazine Thatcham Classic, Berkshire - October 11th 2008.
- Classic Motor Show, NEC, Birmingham - November 14th to 16th 2008.
- Alfaholics track day, Castle Combe, Wiltshire - April 4th 2009.
- Race Retro, Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire - March 12th to 14th 2010.
- National Alfa Weekend, Shelsley Walsh hill climb, Worcestershire - August 21st to 22nd 2010.
- Alfa Romeo produced their first commercial vehicle, a lorry based on the 20/30hp chassis, in 1914. Many lovely trucks followed and were produced by Alfa Romeo with their typical Italian design flair, but in the early 1950ís a smaller commercial vehicle was required. In 1954 the "Romeo" was introduced along side the larger Alfa Romeo trucks. Amazingly this vehicle in all its derivatives and models was produced right up until 1983.
- When the Romeo first appeared it was considered to be almost revolutionary despite its semi-traditional pressed steel box section chassis. To obtain the lowest possible loading platform front wheel drive was adopted, a courageous choice at the time employed by very few manufacturers. Fiat and Lancia did not build front wheel drive vans until the next decade.
- The engine choice was equally original. The petrol version used the twin overhead camshaft 1290cc unit of the Giulietta in 37 horse power form but the diesel engine (diesel was itself an unusual option in a small van at the time) was a supercharged two cylinder unit.
- There were numerous factory built variants of the Romeo, a normal panel van with no rear side windows, a van with two or three side windows depending on how many rows of passenger seats were fitted, pick-ups, flat-beds, normal cabs, crew cabs, minibuses, etc, etc. Added to this were countless conversions built by different coachbuilders such as car transporters, advertising units, mobile market stalls and other specialist vehicles.
- In 1956 the Romeo was replaced by the Romeo 2 and was visually identical except for the badging, and the model range was also unchanged.
- In 1967 when the front panel was updated with a wider chrome and mesh grille the Romeo 2 became known as the A12 (A for autocarri - truck cab version with open chassis) and F12 (F for furgoni chiusi - closed van version).
- The A12 and F12 were fitted with the same 1290cc (1.3) Alfa Romeo twin-cam "Nord" engine as fitted to the Romeo 2 but with an increase of power to 52 horse power driving the front wheels through a four speed gearbox. In 1973 the A12 and F12 were also offered with a 4 cylinder Perkins Diesel engine as was fitted to the Giulia Saloon.
- The maximum speed for the A12 and F12 versions was approximately 115 kph and to reign in this tremendous velocity, disc brakes were fitted at the front with drum brakes at the rear.
- Between 1967 and 1971 the A11 and F11 were also available, visually identical to the A12 and F12 these had a lighter payload and a lower engine horsepower to enable them access into Italian cities that stipulated that for commercial vehicles to be allowed into the city centre the carrying capacity and horsepower had to be below certain amounts.
- The A12 and F12 were in production largely unchanged from 1967 to 1983, except for black plastic grilles replacing the chrome and mesh ones in 1977.